A cargo ship seized off Somalia and an oil-products tanker hijacked in the Gulf of Aden have renewed concerns over piracy and maritime security in one of the world’s busiest shipping corridors.
BY PC Bureau
August 21, 2026: Two commercial vessels have been seized by armed pirates off Somalia and Yemen within three days, with 22 Indian seafarers among the crews and all reported safe so far, in a fresh warning about the risks facing merchant shipping across the Gulf of Aden and western Indian Ocean.
The incidents occurred in separate maritime zones but have raised renewed concerns over the security of one of the world’s busiest shipping corridors. Indian authorities are monitoring both cases and coordinating with agencies and the governments concerned to secure the safe release of the crews.
READ: Huge Drug Haul in Two Parts of Manipur Hills
Cargo Ship Seized Off Somalia
The first incident involved the Cameroon-flagged cargo vessel M/V LUTUF, which was hijacked on August 17 near Marraya in Somalia’s Puntland region.
The vessel had 10 people on board, including six Indian nationals, a Turkish national, a Georgian national and two Serbian security personnel.
According to reports, eight armed men approached the ship in two skiffs and boarded it while carrying assault rifles. The crew initially moved into the vessel’s citadel, a fortified compartment designed to protect seafarers during pirate attacks.
The pirates eventually breached the safe room, took the crew to the bridge and seized control of the vessel. No injuries were reported.
The hijackers subsequently sailed the ship towards Somalia’s Nugaal coast. Reports suggest the vessel was carrying Turkish-made weapons, communications equipment and satellite systems reportedly destined for a military training facility in Mogadishu.
The attackers are suspected of having links to an earlier piracy incident.
INDIAN VESSELS HIJACKED
India has officially confirmed that two vessels carrying 22 Indian nationals have been hijacked by pirates off the coasts of Yemen and Somalia. pic.twitter.com/GntYwwXqx7
— Pamir Watch (@PamirWatch) August 21, 2026
Tanker Hijacked in Gulf of Aden
A second vessel was seized just three days later, on August 20.
The Eritrea-flagged oil-products tanker MT Sibu 1, also referred to in some reports as Seamull, was reportedly hijacked about 30 nautical miles off Yemen in the Gulf of Aden.
The tanker was carrying 20 crew members, including 16 Indians. The remaining crew comprised nationals of Syria, Sudan and Iraq, while the nationality of one crew member was yet to be established.
Maritime tracking data indicated that an unidentified vessel approached the tanker before communications and tracking information were disrupted.
The agency responsible for recruiting and placing the crew said six armed pirates were believed to be on board and had taken control of the tanker.
No injuries among the crew have been reported.
India Monitoring Both Incidents
A senior official of the Union Shipping Ministry confirmed that authorities were monitoring the situation and said the concerned agency had been instructed to file an incident report and provide regular updates through the e-Navik marine casualty reporting system.
Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said the government was in contact with the relevant authorities and confirmed that all 22 Indian nationals were safe at the time of the latest update.
Indian authorities are expected to continue working through diplomatic and maritime channels to establish contact with the vessels and secure the crews’ release.
Renewed Piracy Concerns
The twin incidents have brought piracy back into focus in waters where the threat had declined substantially following years of international naval patrols, improved ship security and coordinated anti-piracy operations.
The Gulf of Aden and waters around the Horn of Africa remain strategically important for global trade. At the same time, the wider Red Sea region has faced additional security threats arising from the conflict in Yemen and attacks on commercial shipping.
The latest hijackings therefore come against a maritime-security environment in which merchant vessels face a combination of traditional piracy and conflict-related threats.
India has a particularly significant stake in the safety of commercial shipping. The country is the world’s second-largest source of seafarers after the Philippines, with the 2026 BIMCO-ICS Seafarer Workforce Report estimating that more than 311,000 Indian seafarers work in the global maritime industry.
That large presence means incidents involving merchant vessels in high-risk waters can quickly become a major concern for Indian authorities and seafarers’ families.
The Forward Seamen’s Union of India has also raised concerns over the dangers faced by Indian crews operating in maritime zones affected by piracy and armed conflict.
For now, the immediate priority remains the safe return of the crews aboard the two vessels. With both ships reportedly still under the control of armed men, Indian authorities and their international counterparts face the task of securing the seafarers’ release without putting their lives at further risk.
The two incidents serve as a reminder that despite years of progress against Somali piracy, commercial shipping remains vulnerable in the strategically important waters linking the Indian Ocean, Gulf of Aden and Red Sea.








