Accompanied by Sahil Lochab and later joined by senior Congress leaders, Rahul Gandhi confronted Delhi Police over the alleged refusal to register an FIR, while police said the complaint had been received and the matter was being handled through existing investigations.
BY PC Bureau
Gandhi was accompanied by 19-year-old Sahil Lochab, who the Congress says suffered extensive pellet injuries during the July 20 student protest in Delhi. The Congress leader later received the support of his sister Priyanka Gandhi Vadra and senior party leaders, including Salman Khurshid and Randeep Singh Surjewala, as the standoff continued.
Gandhi accused the police of refusing to register Lochab’s complaint despite medical records documenting pellet injuries. He alleged that the police had been instructed “from the top” not to register an FIR.
“We won’t budge from here until an FIR is registered,” Gandhi told reporters.
The confrontation centres on the events of July 20, when students and activists associated with the Cockroach Janta Party organised a “Chalo Sansad” march from Jantar Mantar towards Parliament. The protesters were demanding accountability over alleged irregularities and paper leaks in the NEET examination and had also sought the resignation of then Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan, who subsequently stepped down.
The march descended into a confrontation with security personnel as police and Rapid Action Force personnel moved to disperse the protesters.
Student Alleges Pellet Injuries
Lochab, a final-year Delhi University student from Najafgarh, was among those injured during the confrontation. According to his family and medical documents cited by Gandhi, he was hit by pellets while carrying the national flag.
The Congress has alleged that more than 200 pellets or fragments were found in his body, with injuries reported to his right eye, face, chest, back and arms. Some fragments were reportedly lodged in areas where doctors considered removal difficult.
Lochab was initially treated at Lady Hardinge Medical College before being shifted to the AIIMS Trauma Centre, where he underwent surgery. Gandhi has said doctors gave the family little hope of restoring vision in his injured right eye.
Gandhi had previously displayed pellets that he said were removed from Lochab’s body and referred to medical reports as evidence of pellet injuries. He also showed the teenager’s injuries to the media, intensifying his demand for an investigation into who authorised the alleged use of the weapon.
Delhi Police, however, has denied using pellet guns, maintaining that it does not possess such weapons. The Rapid Action Force comes under the Central Reserve Police Force, adding another layer to the dispute over who could have deployed the alleged weapon.
BREAKING 🚨 🚨
Congress leader Priyanka Gandhi has also joined Rahul Gandhi’s dharna outside the DCP office, standing alongside the pellet gun victim Sahil as police reportedly refuse to register an FIR.
Amit Shah must resign !! ✊️ pic.twitter.com/Ra8isu1VNh
— Priya Purohit (@Priyaa_Purohit) August 21, 2026
Complaint Becomes Centre of Dispute
Lochab had first submitted a written complaint on August 14 seeking registration of an FIR. According to the Congress, subsequent attempts to follow up through email and telephone did not result in an acknowledgement or details of an investigating officer.
Gandhi then accompanied Lochab to the police authorities in Delhi, including the Parliament Street area, in an effort to press for registration of the case.
On Friday, the issue culminated in the dharna outside the police station.
Gandhi accused the authorities of denying Lochab his right to seek legal action and said the refusal to register an FIR amounted to a denial of justice.
In a post on X, Gandhi directly questioned Union Home Minister Amit Shah, who oversees Delhi Police, asking why the government was allegedly reluctant to allow an FIR to be registered.
He said a judicial inquiry should determine responsibility and argued that anyone found guilty of using excessive force should face action “from top to bottom”.
Congress workers and supporters gathered at the site as security was tightened and Rapid Action Force personnel were deployed.
Police Cite Existing Probe
Delhi Police sources have said Lochab’s complaint has been received and that an investigating officer has been assigned. They have also indicated that the matter has been referred to the Crime Branch, which is already investigating cases arising from the July 20 disturbances.
Police have pointed to the existence of multiple FIRs relating to the protest and said the allegations will be examined as part of the ongoing investigation rather than through a parallel process.
The authorities have also cited the Supreme Court-constituted High-Powered Expert Committee, which is examining allegations of excessive or disproportionate force used by police and paramilitary personnel during the protests.
The committee’s inquiry has become an important part of the government’s response to allegations surrounding the crackdown.
READ: ‘Dog Gets Better Facilities’: CJP Seeks Maha Education minister Resignation
Political Battle Over July 20 Crackdown
The dispute has now expanded beyond the alleged injuries suffered by one student, becoming a larger political battle over police accountability and the right to protest.
Gandhi and the Congress have repeatedly raised the issue in Parliament and outside it, arguing that the alleged use of pellet guns against student protesters represents an unacceptable escalation of force.
The government and police, on the other hand, have stressed the challenges involved in controlling a large demonstration that turned confrontational and have maintained that allegations of excessive force must be examined through established investigative and judicial processes.
The controversy has also revived wider questions about the use of so-called less-lethal weapons for crowd control, particularly weapons capable of causing permanent injuries.
For Gandhi, however, the immediate issue is more specific: whether Lochab’s complaint will result in a formal criminal investigation and whether those responsible for his injuries will be identified.
As the Congress continued its sit-in, the party reiterated its message: “No FIR. No Justice. So We Sit.”
The standoff therefore remains unresolved, with Gandhi refusing to withdraw his demand and Delhi Police maintaining that the complaint is already within the investigative process. The next step could determine whether the alleged pellet-gun attack becomes a separate criminal case or remains part of the broader investigation into the July 20 protest.








