Organisers of the flotilla alleged detainees faced physical and sexual abuse in Israeli custody, claims that Israel’s prison service has strongly denied. United Nations officials said they were “very concerned” by reports emerging from activists released after the flotilla raid.
BY PC Bureau
PARIS: France has barred Itamar Ben-Gvir from entering French territory following widespread outrage over footage showing him mocking activists detained during Israel’s interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla earlier this week.
Announcing the decision on Saturday, French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot said the move was prompted by Ben-Gvir’s conduct toward French and European activists aboard the aid flotilla.
“As from today, Itamar Ben-Gvir is banned from entering French territory,” Barrot wrote on X.
“This decision follows his reprehensible actions towards French and European citizens who were passengers on the Global Sumud Flotilla.”
READ: Who’s Afraid of Cockroaches? CJP’s Insta Hacked After X Crackdown
The controversy erupted after Ben-Gvir posted video footage on social media showing detained flotilla activists kneeling blindfolded with their hands bound at the Port of Ashdod, while he appeared to taunt and mock them.
Israeli naval forces had intercepted the flotilla in international waters off the coast of Cyprus earlier this week, detaining around 430 participants. Hundreds of activists were later released and began returning to their home countries on Thursday.
Ben-Gvir’s flotilla abuse video generates half a million condemnations worldwide
Ben-Gvir celebrated the abuse of flotilla activists on video and produced, within days, half a million documented condemnations.
What happened:
Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir… pic.twitter.com/p9v43Cxr6B
— 🔻agitprop + absurdity🔻 (@agtprpnabsrdty) May 22, 2026
Images and testimonies emerging after the interception triggered strong reactions across Europe, with countries including Italy, France, Netherlands, Canada and Spain summoning Israeli ambassadors and condemning what they described as unacceptable treatment and violations of human dignity.
“We cannot tolerate French nationals being threatened, intimidated, or subjected to violence in this way, especially by a public official,” Barrot said, noting that several Israeli political figures had also criticised Ben-Gvir’s actions.
The French minister further accused Ben-Gvir of a long pattern of inflammatory rhetoric and called on the European Union to impose broader sanctions against the Israeli minister.
Meanwhile, organisers of the Global Sumud Flotilla alleged that activists detained by Israeli authorities were subjected to multiple forms of abuse while in custody.
In a statement posted on Telegram on Friday, organisers claimed that at least 15 cases of sexual abuse had been reported by released activists. The allegations included humiliating strip searches, sexual taunting, groping, and reports of rape aboard a vessel allegedly converted into a makeshift detention facility.
The group further alleged that some detainees suffered severe physical abuse, including forcible penetration and assault. The claims could not be independently verified.
Responding to the allegations, Israel’s prison service denied any abuse, calling the accusations “false and entirely without factual basis.”
United Nations spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said the UN was “very concerned” by the reports when questioned during a briefing on Friday.
Separately, organiser Sabrina Charik, who coordinated the return of 37 French activists from the flotilla, told Reuters that several participants required hospital treatment in Türkiye, with some reportedly suffering broken ribs and spinal injuries.
The incident has intensified international scrutiny of Israel’s handling of Gaza-bound aid flotillas and is likely to further strain relations between Israel and several Western governments already critical of the country’s actions during the ongoing conflict in Gaza.








