Alleging “state-sponsored Meitei war,” the Kuki Organization for Human Rights Trust has urged NHRC intervention. The Commission has now called for an Action Taken Report within 15 days.
BY PC Bureau
April 5, 2025
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has taken cognizance of a complaint lodged by H. Shokhopao Benjamin Mate, Chairman of the Kuki Organization for Human Rights Trust (KOHUR), alleging state-sponsored atrocities against the Kuki-Zo tribal community in Manipur. The Commission has issued a formal notice to the Chief Secretary of Manipur, seeking an Action Taken Report (ATR) within two weeks.
The complaint, dated October 22, 2024, accuses the majority Meitei community of orchestrating targeted violence against the Kuki-Zo people with alleged backing from state machinery. The complaint refers to the ongoing violence as “anti-human, anti-tribal, anti-constitutional, and anti-national,” and calls for urgent intervention by the NHRC.
In its directive dated February 27, 2025 (Case No. 3/14/0/2025), the NHRC stated:
“The complaint… has been received from H. Shokhopao Mate… drawing attention to the urgent need for protection of Kuki–Zo Tribal Community from atrocities by the majority Meitei Tribal Community. There is an urgent need for prevention of Manipur State. The Commission should take appropriate measures and intervene.”
The Commission acknowledged the seriousness of the allegations, noting that the complainant had provided press clippings and photographic evidence. The NHRC directed its Registry to forward the complaint to the Chief Secretary of Manipur and requested a report to be submitted within 15 days:
“The allegations leveled in the complaint are serious violations of the human rights of the victim. Accordingly, the Registry is directed to send a copy of the complaint… and request an ATR within a period of 15 days, treating the matter as very urgent.”
The letter, signed by L.M. Pathak, Consultant (Law), M-3 Section, also instructed state authorities to upload their responses on the NHRC’s HRCNet Portal. Email communications would not be entertained, and any supporting media must be sent via Speed Post or bearer.
The complaint has been officially acknowledged and registered under NHRC Case No. 3/14/0/2025.
This development follows mounting concern from human rights organizations, both domestic and international, regarding the ongoing violence and the deteriorating human rights situation in Manipur. The NHRC’s notice is seen as a crucial step toward accountability and the safeguarding of tribal communities’ rights amidst growing ethnic tensions in the state.
When contacted by The Power Corridors the KOHUR chairman said he has not heard of any action taken on his compliant by the state government so far.
“At least, I ‘ve no received any communication from anyone on the government,” he said.
We are deeply grateful to @India_NHRC for prompt attention to our complaint, which was recently forwarded to the Chief Secretary Govt.of Manipur. However, we would like to bring to the notice of @India_NHRC a critical inaccuracy in your letter, specifically in Paragraph 3, where… pic.twitter.com/7ahF4iCMxJ
— H S Benjamin Mate (@BenjaminMate1) April 4, 2025
Complaint to NHRC:
n its complaint to the NHRC, the KOHUR appealed for immediate intervention in the ongoing crisis in Manipur. In a memorandum submitted on October 22, 2024, KOHUR detailed what they described as “rampant human rights atrocities” and a “state-sponsored ethnic cleansing pogrom” against the Kuki-Zo minority community, allegedly perpetrated by the dominant Meitei community.
The organization asserted that the conflict, which began on May 3, 2023, was triggered by an unprovoked attack on Kuki-Zo inhabitants in Kangvai, Churachandpur district, and Imphal, and had since escalated into an alarming campaign of ethnic cleansing. KOHUR alleged that the violence was premeditated and orchestrated by the Meitei-dominated Manipur state government, led by Chief Minister N. Biren Singh, in collaboration with Meitei successionist militant organizations.
ALSO READ: Bloodbath at Wall Street: U.S. Markets Plunge Over 11% in Two-Day Rout
According to KOHUR, armed Meitei militias, supported by state forces, including the police and Manipur Rifles, carried out widespread atrocities against the Kuki-Zo people. These acts allegedly included the murder of innocent civilians, looting and destruction of property, and the razing of villages. The organization further claimed that the state government had been providing arms to Meitei militias and continued to pursue a policy aimed at the “cleansing” or “annihilation” of the Kuki-Zo population.
KOHUR emphasized that the current conflict was not an isolated incident but part of a broader historical pattern of the Meitei community attempting to seize tribal lands. The memorandum cited violations of constitutional protections and human rights, including the Manipur Land Revenue and Land Reform Act, 1960, and various Forest and Wildlife Acts. The organization also highlighted the historical context of the conflict, tracing its roots to the colonial era and the subsequent power dynamics between the Meitei and tribal communities.
KOHUR dismissed the claims of “illegal immigration” used to justify the violence as a “mere hogwash” and a tool to legitimize what they described as a “barbaric and narcissistic war”. The memorandum detailed a series of events leading up to the May 2023 violence, which KOHUR argued demonstrated a pattern of engineered dissent and provocation by the state government.
These included:
- The removal of commemorative memorials.
- The targeting of Kuki-Zo poppy cultivators in the state’s “war on drugs”.
- The order for submission of arms licenses.
- Government eviction drives in Kuki-Zo villages.
- The suppression of peaceful tribal rallies.
- The withdrawal of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) from valley districts.
- The cancellation of official documents issued to villages in Reserved Forests and Protected Forests.
- Mob violence and arson.
KOHUR argued that these actions, combined with the state government’s alleged bias, directly contributed to the ethnic cleansing pogrom that began on May 3, 2023.
ALSO READ: Rights Group Accuses BIMSTEC Nations of Arming Myanmar Junta Amidst Summit
KOHUR stated that the conflict originated on May 3, 2023, with an attack on Kuki-Zo inhabitants in Kangvai, Churachandpur district, and Imphal. The organization characterized the ensuing violence as an “ethnic cleansing pogrom” perpetrated by the majority Meitei community against the Kuki-Zo minority.
For detailed complaint filed by Kohur read: NHRC-3
KOHUR alleged that this violence was not spontaneous but rather a “pre-planned and pre-meditated ethnic-cleansing pogrom” orchestrated by the Meitei-dominated Manipur state government, led by Chief Minister N. Biren Singh, and supported by Meitei militant groups. The memorandum accused the Manipur state government of actively participating in the violence. It claimed that the government provided Meitei militias with weapons, including “4000+ automatic rifles, military-grade bombs, and lakhs of ammunition” from state armories.
KOHUR further alleged that state forces, such as the Manipur Police Commandos, Manipur Rifles, and Indian Reserved Battalions, were involved in the violence, carrying out acts of murder, looting, arson, and displacement of Kuki-Zo people.
ALSO READ: Tibet “Hell” Under China: Report Details Decade of Excesses
KOHUR argued that the current conflict was rooted in a history of attempts by the Meitei community to seize tribal lands. The memorandum cited several instances of alleged violations of laws and constitutional protections aimed at safeguarding tribal land rights:
- Violation of the Manipur Land Revenue and Land Reform Act, 1960: KOHUR claimed that the Act, which protects tribal land from being sold to non-tribal individuals, had been repeatedly violated through amendments and illegal encroachment.
- Violation of Forest and Wildlife Acts: The Manipur government was accused of illegally declaring large parts of hill areas as Reserved Forests, Protected Forests, and Wildlife Sanctuaries to grab tribal lands.
- Violation of Manipur Historical and Archaeological Act: KOHUR alleged that the state government illegally declared Kuki-Zo inhabited mountain ranges as historical and archaeological sites to claim the land.
- Demand of Scheduled Tribe status for the Meiteis: The memorandum argued that the demand for ST status by some Meitei groups was a ploy to gain access to tribal lands and job reservations.
KOHUR asserted that the Meitei-dominated state government had consistently denied the Kuki-Zo community their constitutional rights:
- Violation of Article 371C of the Indian Constitution: The memorandum stated that the provision for self-governing bodies in tribal areas had been ignored by the Manipur government.
- Violation of Delimitation Act, 2002: KOHUR claimed that the delimitation of assembly constituencies had been delayed to deny the tribal population fair representation.
KOHUR attributed the ongoing conflict to a “colonial hangover,” where the dominant Meitei community sought to maintain control over the tribal communities. The organization argued that the “ethnic cleansing pogrom” was a manifestation of this historical power dynamic.
The memorandum provided a detailed timeline of events leading up to the May 2023 violence, alleging that the state government deliberately provoked the Kuki-Zo community:
- Early 2000s: Occupation of Kuki-Zo hills by Meitei insurgent groups (VBIGs) and subsequent atrocities against the Kuki-Zo community.
- Manufacturing Dystopia: The creation of a narrative of fear and insecurity among the Meitei population to justify actions against the tribal communities.
- Distortion of History: Allegations that Meitei radicals attempted to rewrite history to claim dominance over the tribal people and their lands.
- Events Leading to the May Mayhem:
- Dec 2022-Jan 2023: Controversy over the removal of Anglo-Kuki War memorials.
- Dec 2022-March 2023: Allegations of communal bias in the “war on drugs” targeting Kuki-Zo poppy cultivators.
- Feb. 2023: Order for submission of licensed arms, raising concerns of potential attacks.
- February 2023: Government eviction drives targeting Kuki villages.
- 10th March 2023: Suppression of peaceful tribal rally protesting against injustice.
- 25th March 2023: Withdrawal of AFSPA from valley districts, seen as facilitating violence against the Kuki-Zo people.
- 3rd April 2023: Cancellation of official documents issued to villages in Reserved Forests and Protected Forests.
- 27th April 2023: Mob violence at a gym site in Churachandpur, followed by inflammatory statements.
- 3rd May 2023: Tribal Solidarity Rally against Meitei ST demand and the subsequent outbreak of widespread violence.